Tuesday 10 March 2009

Poorly

For the past two days I've been laid up with some mystery virus. It started Sunday night while I was ironing. I felt absolutely fine and then WHAM!!!, felt faint, woozy and started to lose my balance. For a few seconds I thought maybe I'd had the steam setting on for a bit too long and was simply overcome with the humidity, but after a few minutes with the feeling not subsiding I had to admit defeat and give up.

Yesterday morning I woke up and ached all over. Even the tops of my feet hurt and the back of my hands, my back was excruciating and the backs of my shoulders felt like somebody had held ice-blocks over them all night. Coupled with two bouts of vomiting it culminated in me ringing my husband to come over from his place to take the children to school as I couldn't stand for long.

I honestly can't remember the last time I was knocked off my feet like this. For years I have NEVER slept through the day but yesterday I was exhausted by 10.00am and ended up back in bed, only to find the next thing I knew, it was 4.00pm.

Today, having another day off work the virus has only 50% left me. I say 50% because today the bottom half of my body is fine, but the top half is stiff. So stiff, that when I went out for a bit of fresh air today I had trouble bending down to do my shoes up. If you're ever been eight months pregnant and remember that inability to bend, you'll know what I mean. Tie that in with feeling like somebody has trampolined on your stomach and punched you in the spine and you're halfway to understanding the discomfort I'm in at the minute.

But even through the pain, it's wonderful when your three year old son comes up to you, presses his nose right against yours and says, "Me and Daddy are looking after you today because you're poorly, but I'm doing it more because you're my Mummy".

What better care could I ask for?

4 comments:

chocoholic said...

If the kids are willing to look after you then you should milk it for a bit longer!! I would ha ha ha !!!!
Hope you feel better soon.

Michelle said...

Aaaah, how sweet.....what more could a sick mother want!!!

Hope you are feeling a bit better now. xx

Gretchen said...

Poor thing! Hope all of you is better soon.

margaret (the misanthrope) said...

Awww...I'll bet those sweet words did more for your health than all the aspirin in the world!

Sorry to hear you were so sick. 'Tis the season I guess. I hope you're doing better now!