Wednesday 25 February 2009

The sharpness of youth

I've got to hand it to him. Joshua may be on the talented and learning register for his mathematical ability, but his sense of humour and sharp wit aren't far behind. You never quite know what's whirring in his cogs, but today's offering was pure class.

I'm giving up all things sugary for Lent - or things that lean that way. I'm boring, I can't think of anything really useful to do.

So this evening, I was completely sucked in when Joshua sat casually next to me, flicked through the TV channels and asked, "Mum, how much would it cost for a child minder to look after me for six weeks?". Not too worried about this question as Joshua can't get through a day without at least twenty questions I nonchalantly replied, "I don't know, probably quite a lot. Why?".

Now Joshua is not one to rush his conversations. He communicates at times in depth, other times in snippets. I thought this was a snippet moment. Until he dropped this one. "Well Mum, seeing as it's Lent, I thought I could stay at home for six weeks as I'm giving up the right to learn, so I won't be going to school for 40 days.".

Then he looked me square in the eye and flashed me that gorgeous cheeky smile of his.

He'll go far that boy. Cheeky little monkey!

2 comments:

Lucy Filet said...

Adorable! He's clever that one:).

Thanks for stopping by!

margaret (the misanthrope) said...

Hahaha!! Terrific story! I foresee a career as a lawyer or a smooth-talking salesman for him :-)