Wednesday 25 June 2008

The Birthdays Are Coming Round Again

Both Samuel and Eleanor have birthdays next month and I'm toying with the idea of making their birthday cakes. With Sam hitting three and Eleanor a very grown up five, it dawned on me this week that I have yet to make them their own cake.

I used to make cakes for Joshua and Madeleine, but with working full time and having more children and the associated responsibilities taking my time away, I've not made one for years.

I always feel guilty nipping down the shop and buying some mass produced creation in a cardboard box. So, this year, I'm going to try and make an effort.

Maddie got Noddy and Big Ears in their car for her 3rd birthday. We transported it in a box to a camp site without her even knowing as we were on holiday over her birthday. I was amazed it was still in one piece!



On his 4th birthday, Joshua was a huge Postman Pat fan.




Thomas was made for Joshua's 3rd birthday. Sam's also a huge Thomas fan now so I'm stuck between doing a replica for him of this one, or trying a completely different novelty cake.





For Eleanor, I'm thinking along a butterfly theme.

Whatever I do, it will mean a day off work, as these babies took around 8 hours to bake, cool, cut, mould, assemble and ice. But I loved every minute!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Karen, you really are truly amazing...I dont know where you find the time to think about all these things..let alone do them...I am a mother of only one, as you know, and so glad her nan works in a cake shop, Dani puts her request in and I pick up the perfect cake every year..!!!!

Karen said...

You've done it on your own, you're just as amazing... xx